Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Day Job

Lately it seems that a lot of people have absolutely no idea what I do as a day job and there have been questions.  Soooo, without further adieu, here it is....

I teach Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Geology, and Health to sweet 17-21 year old students at this amazing school.  (I'm not going to share the name of the school here for safety and privacy reasons.)

99.9% of my students are at-risk.  What does that mean you may ask?  It means this....something along the way derailed them and they were no longer successful at a normal high school.  This can be just about anything, either a current or past pregnancy, a drug problem, being homeless, or being arrested and/or imprisoned.  I run the teen-mom group and keep an important "hook-up" closet full of clothing, food and other necessities for everyone. 

Our school is open from 8 in the morning until 5:30 in the evening (I leave at 3ish).  Our students, however, only have to be at school for four consecutive hours because many of them work full-time and are parents. Everything is self-paced and directed for that individual student.  This means I don't have lesson plans, plus I don't have extra duties like clubs, sports, etc.  Which, if you've ever taught at a traditional school, you would know is HUGE.  Our staff truly loves our students, so many times kids come and don't want to leave....because our only focus is the students, how to get them to succeed in life and graduate. 


I love my job. It is one of my Godly callings in this life.  It is hard sometimes though.  It weighs heavy on my heart.  This year God gave me the utmost peace about going back to work, for I had no guilt taking my two little men to their sweet school. The other fabulous perk is that I only work 187 days a year.  Yeah, that's right!

What I tell my students when they arrive is this, I'm just happy to see you....just as you are.  Can I feed you?  Can I clothe you?  How can I serve you today?  I don't care what you've done or where you've been.  Let's just move forward.  I get to show them love and hopefully a piece of the very bright light that shines in my heart for God.  They've asked, "Mrs. why are you so happy?"  My answer is simple, becaue "I luves me some Jesus".  They later asked to make bumper stickers with this saying, and I did, twice.  Go change the world. A

2 comments:

  1. Annie, I'm so proud of you! Thank you very much for sharing about your students. It really sounds like a gret opportunity for you to have your ministry with this young minds, and show them that there's actually some compassion out there. Also, thank you for the beautiful earrings, they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...