Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Popcorn Update


Yes, I know this is odd, but I finally made this popcorn for movie night.  I tried numerous times, unsuccessfully.  I didn't know that you could burn chocolate!  Did you know this?  Or is it just my incompetent cooking skills?!  So, I did the double broiler do-dad on the stove, melted the chocolate, but it was super-dooper thick and wouldn't pour over the popcorn.  So I was thinking what to add to the chocolate to make it pourable...so I added a little oil.  It worked!  But, then wouldn't "set up" in the fridge and you had to keep wiping your gooey fingers off.  Is there a better way?  Please-o-please tell me!  Have a great Tuesday my lovelies! 

4 comments:

  1. I pinned this popcorn too and have been wanting to try it. One tip I've heard about using melted chocolate, although I haven't had a chance to try it yet, is to mix in a little bit of crisco with the chocolate to make it smoother when melted. It's solid at room temperature, so hopefully it won't be too greasy after it sets. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks. I was also told to try milk. I don't crisco in the house, and would have no idea how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this popcorn a ton (in fact, I just made it for the YL college girls last night and they licked the bowl clean!) :) I typically use almond bark... white or chocolate. I never use a double boiler, because that's a pain in the boo-tay. I just nuke it for 1 min at a time in the microwave until it's the right consistency. I don't add anything to it (other than gel food coloring sometimes if I'm trying to be all festive and match a holiday or decor). Tip for mixing it all together: I put the popcorn in a gi-normous bowl, then I take the bowl holding the chocolate and hold it way high so that as it pours out the stream gets really skinny and I can distribute it all over the popcorn (instead of dumping it out in one big clump). This makes me feel awesome, like I'm using physics as well as cooking skills to accomplish my dessert goals. I stir stir stir with a big 'ol strong spoon, then put it into the fridge to set up. Then stir some more to break it up once it's set. Hope that helps! Just come on over and we'll make some!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! Wow! That's great advice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...